Current Legislation

Domestic and Non-Domestic Buildings

All properties, whether domestic homes or commercial buildings are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when constructed, sold or let.The purpose of the legislation is to make energy efficiency of buildings transparent through the provision of an EPC, showing the energy rating of a building and recommendations on how to improve its efficiency.

From April 2018 The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property)(England and Wales) Regulations 2015 state that landords must ensure that properties they rent in England and Wales have a minimum EPC rating of E, before they can grant a tenancy to new or existing tenants.  These requirements apply to both private rented domestic and non domestic properties.

Please click here if you would like further information.


Public Buildings

A DEC and Recommendation Report are required for buildings with a total useful floor area over 250m2 that are occupied in whole or part by public authorities and frequently visited by the public. DECs for buildings of over 1,000m2 must be renewed every 12 months. DECs for buildings of 250 – 1,000m2 must be renewed every 10 years.

Please click here if you would like further information.